Monday, August 30, 2010

Teaching Your Child Self-Control

I recent did some research on teaching children self-control. I have been thinking that there has to be another way to go about this rather than repeating myself to my 3 darling children, OVER AND OVER AND OVER...

I stumbled upon the practice of "Conscious Discipline".

Here are a few notes I took and I'd love to share.

12 Ingredients of Conscious Discipline

1. Know your own boundaries and set rules.

2. Look at your own behavior to see what you're teaching your child.

3. Listen to yourself to make sure you are in charge and not your child.

4. Whenever possible, plan ahead; avoid difficult settings or circumstances.

5. See the situation through your child's eyes

6. Pick your battles.

7. Offer closed-ended choices.

8. Don't be afraid to say "no".

9. Nip undesirable behavior in the bud.

10. Praise good behavior and correct or ignore bad.

11. Don't rely on corpora punishment.

12. Remember that giving doesn't equal love.

I love this quote:

Most kids hear what you say;
Some kids do what you say;
But all kids do what you do.

Kathleen Casey Theisen

No comments:

Post a Comment